Powered By Blogger

October 2007 - The Gomer Pyle Bridge

This, unfortunately won’t be a “ride report” as much as a “destination report”. I once heard it said that younger or new riders choose destinations while older and experienced riders choose directions. My wife and I picked a destination, and while any day on a motorcycle is certainly better than most any day… period, it wasn't one of our best rides.

But it was a cool place.

It all started a few weeks ago when we made that West Virginia trip. Both of us wanted to go back and spend more time in WV as opposed to looping into and right back out again. But we only had the option of a day ride, so time and mileage would be a factor.

When I told a very good friend about our last trip up that way he suggested that the next time we should go see (Remember as you read this we’re southerners) the “Gauley Bridge”.

I responded “Golly Bridge? You mean like Gomer Pile? Welllll Golllll-eeee?”

“No you idiot.” My friend said. “Gauley Bridge. It’s the bridge that spans the New River Gorge up in WV.”

Doing a quick Internet search I found that my friend was the ‘idiot’ (at least he is also an idiot) because what he was talking about is called “The New RiverGorge Bridge” and it is located outside of Fayetteville, WV. As it turns out there is a town named “Gauley Bridge" fairly close by, so I guess I have to give him some credit for at least being, ummm, close.

I figured the mileage from our place up to Fayetteville and found that it was a bit over 200 miles, via the interstate. That being the case my wife and I decided that if we were going to make this trip, we’d leave early (cough, cough) and bust a trail straight up to it, check it out, then decide which way to come back.

We managed to pull out of the house at 9:00 am… Using our last WV trip as a guide we followed the same basic route, which put on a four lane U.S. highway, then I-77, which we would take all the way to Beckley, WV, then we’d get on U.S. 19, as the bridge is part of U.S. 19 I figured it would be fairly easy to spot.

It was. http://www.roadstothefuture.com/New_River_Gorge_Br.html